What is Personality Development ?
Personality development is the development of the organized pattern of behaviours and attitudes that makes a person distinctive. Personality development occurs by the ongoing interaction of temperament , character, and environment.
An individual’s personality is the sum total of the person’s qualities, characteristics, attitudes and quirks, psychological traits, beliefs and motives which make up his identity. Personality development therefore means an improvement in all spheres of the individual’s life.
Meaning of Personality development – going beyond Self development
- It is a field of much research and practice. It is a dynamic, constantly evolving field of study and one in which new practices come to the fore every day.
- Self-development includes practices that lead to an improvement in an individual’s quality of life by fostering self-awareness, improving understanding and realization of hopes.
- The real meaning of personality development is to enhance self-esteem, improving social skills and developing potential.
- In a larger social sense, the definition or meaning of personality development includes the sum total of human happiness by fostering self-awareness and self-esteem, by developing talents, by facilitation.
- This is achieved through social and professional interaction and by contributing to the expression and realisation of hopes, wishes and ambitions.
- Personality development beyond self-help involves a person to don the mantle of teacher, friend and philosopher and mentor to bring out the best in others. In a professional setting, personality development would mean the programmes, techniques, tools, aids and methods used for improving skills, human potential, and acceptance of change and employability quotient.
Meaning of Personality Development – at an individual level
- Awareness of self
- Building self-identity and self esteem
- Spiritual Development
- Talent development
- Identifying potential
- Acceptance of responsibility for self
- Enhancing the quality of life
- Improving physical and mental health
- Aspiration fulfillment
- Improving social abilities